"We Are Modeselektor" is a story of two Techno demoniacs who descended from small villages in order to fill the world with their beats. And it's a story, that is not finished yet at all.
1. Modeselektor - We Are Modeselektor (The Film)
2. Modeselektor with Thom Yorke - This (Videoclip)
3. Modeselektor Feat. Miss Platnum - Berlin (Videoclip)
4. Modeselektor with Thom Yorke - Shipwreck (Videoclip)
5. Modeselektor Feat. Otto von Schirach - Evil Twin (Videoclip)
Film Duration: 72 Minutes
Bonus Material: 17 Minutes
Format: DVD 9 / BLU-RAY
Language : German
Subtitles: English, French
Dolby Digital 2.0 / PCM
PAL 16:9 / 1080P FULL HD
What is a "Seilscheibenpfeiler"?
Where did the first Modeselektor tracks come into life?
Where is Monkeytown?
Why is a ride in a tour bus more fun than being on a plane?
These and many more questions are answered by the documentary "We Are Modeselektor".
In 72 minutes the film makers Romi Agel and Holger Wick draw a portrait of Modeselektor, that is more than just a biography but a movie about Germany after the wall came down, a travel reportage and a story about a special friendship all in one. "We Are Modeselektor" tells the history up to today of Gernot Bronsert and Sebastian Szary by means of numerous interviews with Modeselektor itself and companions like the VJs from Pfadfinderei, Ellen Allien or Moderat band colleague Sascha Ring.
20 year old video recordings show raves in abandoned industrial factory basements that Szary organized, with the 15 year old Gernot as a party guest. You see how Szary with analog synths works on first improvised Techno live sets and Gernot - with a Naomi Campell poster above 2 record players (bought from money saved over 2 years) - does his first mixes. And you get to know how two very different persons personality wise became friends, who a few years later played DJ sets and finally produced tracks together.
The movie highlights important events in Modeselektor's biography: Their first record "In Loving Memory" on BPitch Control, the foundation of their own record labels "Monkeytown Records" and "50WEAPONS", it shows both of them being nervous with stage fright before and pulling off their notorious champagne showers during their shows from Amsterdam to Zagreb and also accompanies them in their private lifes, offside their musical career.
Quotes from the movie:
- Sascha Ring (Apparat): "The reason why the guys are such a good match is because they are so different from each other."
- Thaddeus Herrmann (De-Bug): "They are who they are - on stage and backstage. They are simply enthusiasts."
- Ellen Allien (BPitch Control): " (...) I have actually felt this at each performance - it's just really cool what they do. They have pure energy. They rock."
- Thorsten Pröfrock (Hardwax): "The fact that Modeselektor became so successful is, I think, hard work. It didn't all fall from the sky."
Scenes from live shows filmed at:
AUDIO RIVER FESTIVAL, POLAND 2012
ASTROPOLIS FESTIVAL BREST, FRANCE 2012
BAR AMERICAS GUADALAJARA, MEXICO 2012
BERLIN FESTIVAL, GERMANY 2012
CORONA CAPITAL MEXICO CITY, MEXICO 2012
ELECTRONIC BEATS FESTIVAL BUDAPEST, HUNGARY 2012
ELECTRONIC BEATS FESTIVAL ZAGREB, CROATIA 2012
I LOVE TECHNO, BELGIUM 2012
JUICY BEATS FESTIVAL DORTMUND, GERMANY 2012
LOVE FAMILY PARK HANAU, GERMANY 2012
LOWLANDS, THE NETHERLANDS 2012
MELT! FESTIVAL, GERMANY 2012
OLE - CIUDAD JUÁREZ, MEXICO 2012
PITCH FESTIVAL AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS 2012
PUKKELPOP, BELGIUM 2012
ROSKILDE FESTIVAL, DENMARK 2012
Bonus music videos:
- MODESELEKTOR WITH THOM YORKE "THIS" / Video by Future Deluxe / http://futuredeluxe.co.uk/ c+p 2012 Monkeytown Records
- MODESELEKTOR FEAT. MISS PLATNUM "BERLIN" / Idea, animation, cut, composition by François Chalet ( http://www.francoischalet.ch) / Scenery: Meike Eckstein / c+p 2012 Monkeytown Records
- MODESELEKTOR WITH THOM YORKE "SHIPWRECK" / Video directed by: Tony "Truand" Datis / Video produced by: Arezki Ahcene @ Inkk / c+p 2012 Monkeytown Records
- MODESELEKTOR FEAT. OTTO VON SCHIRACH "EVIL TWIN" / Direction / Production: Dent.De.Cuir ( http://dentdecuir.com/) @ MIAOU Studio (http://miaou.ca) / DOP: JF Hamelin + Camera: Nicolas Dufour-Laperrière / c+p 2012 Monkeytown Records
The movie makers:
- An odd duo that raises international mass hysteria and has been creating a credible sound for years now - Modeselektor seems to be a phenomenon in itself. The search for the origin of this phenomenon leads us into the depths of the biographies of two kids born and raised in East Germany, whose creativity, enthusiasm and idea of a collective brought them from the Berlin suburbs to the city itself and the stages of the world. To consistently retrace this path the documentary offers a rich variety of archive material, extensive behind the scenes tour footage and the travels to important places of the past and present. As a result there are very private insights into Sebastian Szary's and Gernot Bronsert's life as subversive artists who are - despite their broad success - authentic and who over the years stayed true to where they came from. (Romi Agel & Holger Wick)